Entergy Texas, Inc.
myAccount|Payment Options|Our Community|Business & Economic Development|Energy Education & Safety|About Us|Entergy.com
Printable Page 
Residential Main Page
Electrical Safety
Basic Safety
Living Dangerously
How Shock Happens
Power Lines
Your Service Panel
GFCIs and Grounding
Electrical Fires
Appliance Safety
Electricity and Water
Workplace Safety
Prevent Workplace Fires
Family Safety
Boating Safety
Indoor Projects
Outdoor Projects
Case Studies
Electrical Safety World
Meter Reader Safety
Copper Theft
Safety Videos

How Shock Happens

Electricity travels easily through the human body. 

Your body is 60 to 70 percent water, and water is an excellent conductor of electricity. So, when you touch an energized bare electrical wire or a faulty appliance, the electricity will use your body as the shortest path to the ground. If you are grounded, the electricity will instantly pass through you to the ground, causing a harmful—and sometimes fatal—shock.

It doesn't take much. 

You can be killed by the tiny amount of electricity used by one 7.5-watt holiday light if it passes through your chest. If the shock doesn't kill you, it can still badly hurt you by causing serious falls, burns, cuts, or internal bleeding. A shock from a 12-watt electric shaver or a 1000-watt hair dryer will probably be fatal.

You can avoid harmful or fatal shock by understanding how electricity travels and how to stay out of its way.




Copyright 2015 Culverco, LLC. All rights reserved. Not for print reproduction or distribution.